Where are the Best Places to Photograph in Holbox Mexico?
The best photography spots in Holbox, Mexico. When you think of an island of the grid, you usually think of the Bahamas. It was only recently that I discovered the Island of Holbox located north of Mexico’s the Yucatán Peninsula, in Quintana Roo State. The only way to get to the island is by ferry. This place is unlike anywhere I have ever been to before. It reminds me of Burningman on the beach. Ok, it is not exactly like that, but the vibes in the are super chill, and everyone is very laid back and relaxed.
When you first show up to the ferry station, you do not know what to expect until you see all the golf carts lined up on the sandy streets to take all the tourists to their hotels, hostels, or just into the city for a day of fun and relaxation. That’s right. There are no cars on the island, only golf carts, motorcycles, and scooters; seriously, it’s like dreaming you are in a funky movie.
Like any other place I ever go to, I start by walking around and looking for the best places to photograph in Holbox, Mexico.
The gear we recommend is a good camera and the holy trinity. A wide-angle lens. 14-24mm or something similar. A 24-70mm or something similar and, of course, a 70-200mm or something similar.
If you do not have these particular lenses, do not worry; something similar will be just fine. It would be best if you also had a tripod.
Holbox Photography Guide
1.The Holbox sing on the beach. This sign is cool and easy to find. When you are downtown in the central plaza, head straight to the beach and look right, you can not miss it. If in doubt, ask around. Locals are happy to give you directions, and everyone speaks English. When you get there, you will notice that the “L” is gone, that is for you to stand, and you are the “L.”
2. The Beach at sunset. This is an obvious one, head to the beach at sunset to catch this epic beauty, be warned that there will be lots of people there, so find the right spot that is less crowded. This usually involves a bit of walking, but hey look at the scenery, nothing wrong with a nice walk on the beach during an epic sunset.
3. The shade huts on the beach. The shade huts on the beach are really cool; they are surrounded by palm trees and look cool. Walk around until you find the right ones and snap away.
4. Downtown Holbox Mexico. Walking around downtown, you will find all kinds of the beautiful artwork on the walls. You can see this colorful city by simply walking around the central plaza.
The best photography spots in Holbox Mexico
5. The Holbox Pier. This pier is incredible, although it is crowded during the day. You can get some great shots at sunset or during the blue hour.
6. The Holbox Pier from a different angle. When you are at the pier, make sure you walk around and get additional tips. You will be surprised how different your photos will look by only moving around a bit.
7. The beach in the morning. Take a morning stroll and check out the beautiful white sandy beaches; they will get your day started on the right foot.
8. The city. This is a place unlike anywhere else. Full of golf carts and happy people, walk around, you will never run out of things to photograph.
9. The Hammocks on the Beach. This is the most known place in Holbox, a great location to photograph. The best lens to use is a 24-70mm. The best time to shoot is at sunset.
10. Wildlife. Once you get to the beach, you will a lot of birds come and go. These are incredibly best to photograph during the day. The best lens to use is a zoom lens.
11. The Palmtrees. When you walk around along the beach, look around for the beautiful palm trees sitting against the sunset. These can make some stunning images. The best lens to use is a zoom lens.
These are the Best Photography Spots in Holbox Mexico
If you enjoyed the list, please leave a comment below and share it with your friends. Feel free to stick around and check out our other photography guides. Please remember to check back as we are continually updating our guides.