Where are the best photography spots in Santorini? In this post, I will break down the best spots to take photos in Santorini.
When you think of Santorini you think of endless staircases leading into beautiful white homes that hang over a cliff. And that is exactly what Santorini is. A paradise in the Greek Islands that one must experience.
Santorini is packed with beautiful destinations, however, if you are a photographer you need to go straight to La Oia. La Oia is where all the action is, you can find the most epic photography locations in Santorini in La Oia. The best part about it, it’s all walking distance, with epic views. Get ready for your mind to be blown.
When I got to the airport, I immediately went to rent a car. That is the easiest way to get around. Surprisingly enough renting a car is a lot cheaper then it is to get a taxi or a connection from the airport to La Oia.
Santorini photography location guide
The gear we recommend is a good camera and the holy trinity. A wide-angle lens. 14-24mm or something similar. A 24-70mm or something similar and, of course, a 70-200mm or something similar.
If you do not have these particular lenses, do not worry; something similar will be just fine. It would be best if you also had a tripod.
The Best Photography Spots in Santorini Greece
1. Byzantine Castle Ruins. This is a must. You know all the sunset photos of Santorini you see? They are all shot from this exact spot. Come at sunset and come early. This place gets packed. I came here 4 Sunsets in a row it was all worth it. Come during the day also it is magical. Gear I recommend 24-70mm and a wide-angle lens.
2. Byzantine Castle Ruins at Night. Same as above but come back at night when all the lights are on. It is a different vibe and all the people are gone.
3. Meteor Caffe. This place is awesome and it has incredible views. Stop for a beer or a cold drink and enjoy the scenery. The best lens to use is a 24-70mm.
4. Oia Sunset Photo Spot. This place is cool to come during the day. Depending on what time of the year you come, you can watch the sunset from here also.
5. 3 Blue Domes. This is the shot you see on brochures and just about everywhere. These are the famous 3 blue domes. The lens I recommend 24-70mm.
6. The Post office parking lot. If you want to avoid crowds and enjoy a nice peaceful sunset, check out the Parking lot at the post office. This place is more relaxed than anywhere in La Oia. The best lens here is a zoom lens.
7. The Sunset Windmills. These windmills are really cool, you can see them from all over Santorini however they are best viewed from up close. The best lens to use is a wide-angle lens.
8. The Donkeys. The way the locals transport their goods up and down the very steep hills is with donkeys. When you see them you can’t help to feel bad for them especially when you start walking up and down the hills. (locals advised me that the donkeys are very well cared for)
9. Ammoudi. To get here you have to walk down a very steep and long staircase, however, it is a lot of fun and the views on the way down are spectacular. Bring some comfy shoes. The best lens is a wide-angle lens.
10. The Street Animals. There are so many friendly cats and dogs in La Oia Santorini. Go for an afternoon stroll and snap some photos of your new-found friends.
11. Four Bells. This place has incredible views. Just bring your camera with any lens and start snapping away.
12. The streets at night. After you watch the incredible sunset and relax for a bit, go on a midnight walk. It is so peaceful and relaxing. The best part about it is that the streets are all empty.
13. The Hotels. Wonder off in the streets and check out different hotels. There are so many great photo opportunities in Santorini. Take advantage of them all and always keep a camera with you.
These are the Best Photography Spots in Santorini Greece.
If you enjoyed the list of the best photography spots in Santorini Greece, please leave a comment below and share it with your friends. Please remember to check back as we are continually updating our guides.